Sunday 28 July 2013

Sealing and coating beads

I have done a lot of testing over the last few days and I now know what I find the best for me, you will find your own way and it will be different to me I'm sure...

I've tried both PVA glue and a glue stick to stick the ends when rolling, but I've gone back to the PVA glue as I find it better.

I tried both dipping my beads and brushing the glaze on. 

Dipping:- At first I found dipping very time consuming, but I think I've now got a method that works for me.  I first put my beads on sticks and give them a coat of PVA all over to seal and smooth, then I stand them in a florist block to dry.

When they are completely dry I string the beads on very cheap plastic fishing line, note: I did try adding glass beads in between each paper bead to stop them sticking together, well that didn't work for me the paper beads stuck to the glass beads, so now I don't use them. I then dip my beads in Barniz Brillante which I think is gloss varnish, it depends on how shinny I want my beads on how many coats I do, but mainly between 3 and 5 coat. I had an old clothes airer which is no longer good enough for hanging clothes on, so I put it outside and I peg the strands of beads on that to dry.

About half an hour after I have dipped my beads I turn them over and peg them the other way up, but first I twist all the beads to make sure that they have not stuck.

Brushing:-  I did at first prefer this method, but now I have my bead rolling tool and the hole size is bigger than a toothpick, I really do think that the inside of the bead needs sealing and the only way to do that is to dip them.  I have found that it is very easy to get glaze on the sticks when brushing and then it is near on impossible to get the little devils off.

So I dip mine.......

No comments:

Post a Comment